Should You Build in the Winter? Yes!
Contrary to popular belief, Winter can be a great time for construction projects. With fewer scheduling conflicts, milder winters, fewer interruptions, and quicker permits, construction in winter can be a great way to get the job done right. Here are 5 reasons you should consider starting your construction project now:
Fewer Scheduling Conflicts
- The winter months provide an opportunity for contractors and builders alike to take advantage of the slower pace of business and complete projects with less disruption. With fewer interruptions, there is more time available to focus on one project at a time, allowing for better quality control and greater attention given to detail. Additionally, since workers are not dealing with as many scheduling conflicts, they can remain on track with their projected timelines more easily.
Milder Winters in Mesa County
- The winters in Mesa County are relatively mild, making it easier for construction projects to be completed on time and within budget. This is great news for those who are looking to build or remodel their homes and businesses in the area. With fewer delays due to the weather, projects can be finished faster and with less cost. Moreover, this helps keep the local economy strong as more people are able to purchase materials and services from local businesses. The mild winters also help keep energy costs down as heating requirements are reduced during these months. All of these benefits make Mesa County an ideal place for construction projects year-round.
Fewer Interruptions from Clients/Customers
- Winter months are a great time for businesses to complete tenant improvements or remodels. With less interruption from customers and employees, these projects can be completed more efficiently and with fewer delays. Many businesses–particularly in the retail segment–slow down in January, February, and March, making it the perfect time to get started on tenant improvements or remodels. During this period, businesses can take advantage of reduced customer traffic and employee absences to complete these projects without disruption or delay. Businesses should take advantage of the winter months to make needed changes without sacrificing customer service or productivity. With less interruption, tenant improvements or remodels can be completed more quickly and with fewer delays.
Quicker Permits/Approvals from the City or County
- Winter is a great time for construction projects, as it offers the opportunity to get permits and approvals faster due to the lower number of submittals. This means that contractors can plan their projects more efficiently and get them done quicker. With quicker permits/approvals, construction projects can be completed in a timely manner, with less hassle and cost. Furthermore, this will also lead to fewer delays in the completion of projects due to waiting for necessary approvals.
Lock in Subcontractors with Advanced Planning
- Winter months can be a great time for businesses to plan ahead and lock in subcontractors for upcoming busier months. By taking the time to plan out larger projects during the winter months, businesses can ensure that they have access to reliable subcontractors when their workload increases. This advanced planning also allows businesses to take advantage of lower rates and better terms from subcontractors who are willing to commit early on. With careful planning, businesses can make sure that they have the resources needed for their projects, even during peak times.
Naturally, certain construction tasks lend themselves to being performed more efficiently in the winter. For obvious reasons, tenant upgrades, buildouts, remodels, interior finishes, or anything else when you are residing inside an existing external shell, are perfect. But, with the right design and modern equipment, even outdoor winter building is possible. Merritt & Associates is the perfect choice for any project in Mesa County, even during winter months. We are an experienced, turn-key general contractor that specializes in working with the unique winter climate of Mesa County. Our team has years of experience and expertise to ensure that your project is completed with the highest quality standards in mind, even when dealing with the challenges of a cold winter climate. Let us show you why we should be your go-to general contractor for any project you have in mind.